New Development Kit from 3M Helps Design Engineers Achieve Multi-Gigahertz Performance in 2 mm Footprint
AUSTIN, Texas – January 7, 2009 - 3M innovators have developed a way for design engineers to achieve multi-gigahertz performance from industry standard 2 mm printed-circuit-board connectors, using 2 mm shielded controlled impedance cable assemblies. New development kits from 3M let design engineers test drive these innovative cable assemblies for their applications.
The Shielded Controlled Impedance (SCI) Cable Assembly Development Kit, 2 mm from the 3M Electronic Solutions Division is designed to help engineers assess, test and design the appropriate high performance 2 mm SCI cable-to-board solution for their application.
When used with standard 2 mm latch/eject headers from 3M for multi-gigahertz cable-to-board applications , the SCI connectors save valuable board real estate without sacrificing performance compared to the BNC or SMA connectors frequently used with coaxial, and the specialized twinaxial connectors used with twinaxial cable. This is particularly true for applications where multiple high-speed coaxial or twinaxial cable-to-board connectors need to be bundled together.
This solution is ideal for a variety of high-performance or high-signal integrity cable-to-board applications in the industrial control/factory automation, medical, test and instrumentation, video post production equipment and military electronics industries.
Designers can use the development kit to verify signal integrity, impedance matching and crosstalk performance for designs that require up to 1 Gbps single-ended performance per signal line or 5 Gbps differential performance per signal pair, bundled multi-line cable-to-board solution requiring mechanical reliability such as that offered by a latch/eject connector.
The development kit contains everything required to assess, test and design a high performance 2mm cable-to-board solution, including:
- CD-ROM containing application note, test instruction sheet, technical sheets. The application note is illustrated with graphical data from actual lab tests under different test conditions.
- Postage-paid reply card to request product updates and register the kit
- 2 mm SCI differential and single-ended cable assemblies (twinaxial and coaxial), 24” length
- 2x25 surface mount or through-hole 2 mm latch/eject headers
- 2x25 carrier used for bundling together the SCI cable mount connectors
- Optional specialized printed circuit board for testing
- SMA connectors for testing, mounted on the PCB for development kits that include a printed circuit board
- SMA connectors specified for development kits that do not include a printed circuit board
- Test procedures document
- Application note describing how the SCI Assembly can be used. The note is illustrated with graphical data from actual lab tests under different test conditions.
Pricing and Availability
Development kits are available in four configurations:
- 9401 includes all kit elements with a surface-mount header without the optional printed circuit board (PCB)
- 9402 includes all kit elements with a surface-mount header with a customized test PCB
- 9403 includes all kit elements with a through-hole header without the optional PCB
- 9404 includes all kit elements with a through-hole header with a customized test PCB
Prices for development kits without a PCB (9401 and 9403) start at $100. Prices for development kits with a PCB (9402 and 9404) start at $250. Development kits can be purchased from 3M distributors. Call 800-225-5373 for a list of distributors. More information is also available at http://www.3M.com/interconnects
About 3M Electronic Solutions Division
3M Electronics Solutions Division offers innovative solutions to the electronics market, such as static control products; copper interconnect systems; cables and cable assemblies; carrier and cover tapes and trays; flexible circuits; embedded capacitor materials; and Textool brand test and burn-in sockets.
A recognized leader in research and development, 3M produces thousands of innovative products for dozens of diverse markets. 3M’s core strength is applying its more than 40 distinct technology platforms – often in combination – to a wide array of customer needs. With $24 billion in sales, 3M employs 79,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 60 countries. For more information, visit http://www.3M.com.
3M is a trademark of 3M Company.
View PDF of this Press Release.
Jane Kovacs, 3M Public Relations
Phone: (512) 984-6747