Merchandise with 3M Logo Only
The 3M logo can be applied in a number of ways on 3M Branded Merchandise. Review all of the descriptions below to determine the correct application for your situation.
Visit the Merchandise with 3M Logo & 3M Montage page for guidance on applying other design elements to branded merchandise. Visit the Promotions, Programs section for guidance on applying the 3M logo with thematic imagery for specific programs and events. Visit the 3M Branded Merchandise eStore to order 3M branded merchandise.
- Always use a 3M Red logo.
- Only one 3M logo can appear per visual surface.
- Position the logo over a white background for maximum prominence. Other background colors with good contrast, such as black or neutral colors, may also be used.
- Position the logo prominently with at least 1/2 "M" clear space on all sides.
- Set the text in Helvetica Neue 57 Regular Condensed, in either black or white.
- Use upper and lower case — do not use all caps.
- Stack the text flush-left (if it requires more than one line), sized equal to 1/4 to 1/2 "M" for most applications
- On very small items, such as pens, size text equal to 1 “M” for maximum readability.
3M Logo Only
The 3M logo can be used alone on branded merchandise when no specific Program or Event, division, brand, product or service is being promoted.
Use the branded relationship when the 3M logo and text are used to promote specific 3M Programs or Events, product or service names.
Use the 3M logo as an endorsement when promoting a specific strategic brand, division, operating unit, plant or business name, or for 3M branded merchandise created for Programs and Events.
When used as an endorsement, the 3M logo and text are not visually linked. Instead, position the logo distinctly separate from the text (preferably on separate surfaces of the item). For example, on a shirt, position the text on the left chest and the logo on the collar or sleeve. With this option, “3M” may be part of the text, as in a division name. For a one-sided application, position the 3M logo far enough away from the text so as not to be visually linked or to appear as a read-through.
3M Businesses, organizations and locations/facilities may leverage the 3M logo to communicate their relationship to the company. In this case, the 3M logo and text are visually connected with at least 1/2 “M” clear space between the 3M Red logo and the organization name. The organization name is set in Helvetica Neue 57 Regular Condensed sized to be 1/4 to 1/3 of the height of the “M” depending on the length of the name. Use smaller text for longer names and larger text for shorter names.