Customizable, robust designs for your application
Since our creation of the first metered-dose inhaler more than 50 years ago, 3M has been at the forefront of inhaled drug delivery and inhaled technologies. Today, pMDIs are relied upon by hundreds of millions of people for the treatment of respiratory conditions, such as asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
Because it is target specific, inhalation drug delivery offers fundamental advantages, including the ability to minimize systemic absorption and adverse effects, compared to drugs that must travel through the gastrointestinal tract.
To help ensure your product’s technical success, 3M offers formulation screening and optimization for both solutions and suspensions, including particle engineering to improve dosing performance:
- Micronization (milling 1g and below)
- Spray drying (drying 1g and below)
- Freeze drying (processing up to 500ml of input solution)
- Proprietary sub-micron dispersion of lactose for use as a bulking agent
3M also offers an array of pMDI components such as valves and canisters that can be customized to fit your needs as well as, breath-actuation and dose counters, which improve patient experience.
3M™ Autohaler™ Breath Actuated Inhaler
3M™ Nasal MDI
3M™ Integrated Dose By Dose Counter
In addition to robust technology, 3M delivers the core advantages you need to help ensure your technical success:
- Expertise in customizing solutions to fit drug formulation needs
- Access to material and process technology expertise from across the scientific community
- Regulatory and toxicology support
- Streamlined pathway through development
- Global manufacturing services
3M offers a free of charge, no obligation paper feasibility for the first stage of assessment. Contact us for more information: