About these Policies
Business Conduct Policies
3M’s higher standard
Ethical business conduct sometimes requires more than strictly complying with the law. Moreover, there are no laws governing many business activities. Even when laws apply, sometimes they set a standard of behavior that is unacceptably low for 3M. When you are confronted with such situations, you need to make a good, ethical decision that will reflect well on 3M and you. This section contains advice to help you do that.
3M Business Conduct Policies provide guidance for many situations, but this website/manual cannot cover every possible issue you may face in the course of 3M business. In these cases, your actions should be guided by our fundamental values of uncompromising integrity and honesty. These values include promise keeping, fairness, respect and concern for others, and personal accountability.
Ethical decision-making requires evaluating and giving due consideration to alternative courses of conduct in light of these corporate standards:
- Show uncompromising honesty and integrity in all of your 3M activities and relationships.
- Avoid all conflicts of interest between work and personal life.
- Respect the dignity and worth of all individuals.
- Encourage individual initiative and innovation in an atmosphere of flexibility, cooperation and trust.
- Promote a culture where promise keeping, fairness, respect and personal accountability are valued, encouraged and recognized.
- Create a safe workplace.
- Protect the environment.
Making ethical decisions
You should be able to answer "yes" to the following questions before taking any action on behalf of 3M.
- Is this action consistent with 3M's corporate values of uncompromising honesty and integrity?
- Can this action withstand public scrutiny?
- Will this action protect 3M's reputation as an ethical company?
If you can't answer "yes" to all these questions, but still believe the proposed action is lawful and ethical, you should review the proposed action with your supervisor, management or your assigned 3M legal counsel because it may not be in the best interest of 3M or you to proceed.