Types of Braces
Choose an Orthodontist
Brushing with Braces
If you’re wondering how to take care of your teeth while wearing braces, you’re not alone; good oral care is important when you’re wearing braces, but it's something many patients struggle with.
To help answer your questions, 3M teamed up with Crest and Oral-B to create Brushing with Braces, your pathway to better oral health during orthodontic treatment.
Visit 3M.com/BrushingWithBraces for step-by-step videos, tips, tricks, and more.
Here’s a summary of the basics:
- Rinse: Start by removing loose food particles.
- Tree brush: An interproximal brush is a great way to check behind your archwire for any remaining food debris.
- Water flosser: Many people wearing braces use a water flosser as added assurance they've removed food particles from around their brackets.
- Floss: Remove any food that’s in between your teeth with floss.
- Power brush: A specially-designed electric toothbrush head is made to remove plaque in tiny, hard-to-reach spots like the areas around your braces.
- Final rinse: Now that you're done cleaning your teeth, make sure your mouth is fresh and toothpaste-free with a quick rinse.