Resistive (4-, 5-, 7- and 8-wire)
Glass or Acrylic substrate, Spacer dots, Polyester sheet(s)
Principle of Operation
- A touch compresses the flexible Top layer into contact with the bottom glass layer.
- A voltage gradient is applied to the top and bottom layer (X and Y axis) sequentially.
- The controller calculates the X and Y position of the touch based on the voltage gradient applied to one side and using the opposite side as a voltage probe.
- Most widely used touch technology
- Can be activated by bare finger, gloved hand, or stylus
- Low cost
- PET top sheet is highly susceptible to scratches, cuts and cigarette burns
- PET layer is a flexing mechanical element coated with a conductive ceramic which wears with every flex
- Transmission typically in 80% to 85%
- Limited to 2 resolvable points; 3 or more resolvable points requires resistive matrix sensor