Projected Capacitive (Matrix)
Glass, polyester sheet, conductive coating
Principle of Operation
- Patterned sensor elements are attached to the backside of the touch surface substrate.
- Signal levels on each pattern are measured.
- Touch is detected by determining the relative levels of current between adjacent patterns.
- All glass top surface solution
- Can be laminated or chemically strengthened for additional protection against breakage of user safety
- Constructions are generally laminated which provides shard containment if broken
- Design can be used in bezel designs and flush surface designs (iPhone-like)
- Durability is a function of the properties and construction of the cover material
- Touch is activated by bare finger, thin gloved hand or conductive stylis
- Transmission typically 85% to 90%
- Capable of 3 or more resolvable points
- More complex electronics and sensor construction when compared to other technologies
- Does not have full stylus independence support