Glass substrate, piezoelectric transducers
Principle of Operation
- Touch creates a bending wave through the medium of the glass substrate.
- Bending waves radiate to the sensor edges and are detected by piezoelectric receptors in border area.
- Electronics compute touch location based on algorithms or by use of signal comparison references.
- Impervious to surface contaminants
- Touch activated by bare finger, gloved finger, or stylus
- Transmission is >90%
- Able to offer flat front surface design (no bezel)
- Few major suppliers
- Limited to 1 resolvable point with gesture capability