Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M's core values. At 3M Springfield, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Springfield's EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Springfield's environmental strategy. Since 1980, 3M Springfield has completed 42 3P projects which prevented more than 240 tons of air pollution, 35 tons of water pollution, and 4,300 tons of waste and saved more than 4 million dollars since the first year of the projects.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
- 3M Springfield received the Springfield Chamber of Commerce award for their efforts in environmental sustainability
- 3M Springfield received the 2005 Award for Environmental Excellence
- 3M Springfield is ISO 14001 certified
- 3M Springfield was awarded the EPA Region VII Award for 2003 and 2005