3M Cogent has been selected by the FBI as an authorized Channeling Agency to provide criminal history searches (i.e. fingerprint-based background checks) for non-criminal applicants.
3M Cogent performs channeling services for industries and professions who are mandated to use these services, including:
- Federal Government Employees
- Professions requiring national security clearance
- Financial Services Industry (Banking, Investment, Insurance, Trading)
- Transportation Industry (HAZMAT)
Each captured applicant fingerprint record is transmitted to the FBI as a digitized electronic record, in compliance with the Electronic Fingerprint Transmission Specification (EFTS). Once received by the FBI, applicant fingerprint images are compared against the FBI's known criminal fingerprint database to determine if any criminal history exists.
The FBI Channeling Program includes:
Product Information Sheet
- Collection of applicant demographic data as well as the collection of associated fee
- Collection of applicant fingerprint impressions
- Electronically and securely transmitting the collected fingerprint records to the Cogent FBI server
- Secure transmission of the collected fingerprint data from the Cogent Server to the FBI CJIS division
- Receiving of FBI responses for transmitted records
- Electronic dissemination of FBI results to approved and authorized recipient