Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M’s core values. At 3M Pittsboro, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Managing Our Environmental Footprint
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Pittsboro’s EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results.
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
The Pittsboro plant has been recognized with over a fifteen 3P awards since the year 2005.
- Utility reduction (natural gas and electric)
- Water usage reduction and recycle
- Land fill reduction
- Yield improvement to extend raw materials
Key Environmental Accomplishments
- At 3M Pittsboro, environmental processes are set up to make the best use of natural resources like water. Water used for formulating coatings in production is recycled and reused. Waste water treatment facilities on site allow for recovery of sanitary discharge, treatment and reuse back in the process. This allows our facility to operate without the need for sewer discharge and large treatment operations.
- The plant uses state of the art in line measuring systems to check and maintain optimal operations. This allows us to be fully compliant with all federal and local regulations including the Title V air emissions standard.
- 2006 3M Energy Program (Recognizing top tier plants for active energy reduction team, energy road map and programs and a greater than 3% annual BTU improvement) – Gold Level Award Winner
- 2007 3M Energy Program – Gold Level Award
- 2002 3M EHS Achievement Award – Greenfield site operation which includes treatment, recycle and reuse of sanitary discharge.
- 2005 3M EHS Achievement Award – Total Safety Culture Process. A system of observations, communication and documentation that focuses attention and elevates safety awareness.
- 2007 3M EHS Achievement Award - Innovative Management of Change. A management of change process which focuses on communication of manufacturing changes to reduce risk and improve safe operations.
- 2007 Industrial Mineral Products Division EHS Award Winner
- Housekeeping Award - Best Facility
- Housekeeping Award – Best Team - Shipping Department