Passive Fire Protection
Meets UL 1709 Standard for fire resistance – while enabling low ampacity derating of cables!
In the event of a fire, electrical and control systems must remain operational in order to facilitate a safe and orderly shutdown and evacuation.
3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat, known as E-Mat, is ideal for protecting the systems that deliver power and control signals. By chemically absorbing heat energy to block heat penetration, Interam E-Mat provides full-envelope fire protection for a broad range of critical components including cable trays, structural steel, electrical raceways and vessel skirts.
Interam E-mat is easy to install, offers low ampacity derating, and delivers outstanding performance in high-intensity fires. They meet UL 1709 standards for protection against large hydrocarbon pool fires and are recognized as a fireproofing material by the American Petroleum Institute 2218 Section 7.3.5. Trusted by the oil and gas industry for over 30 years, Interam E-Mat helps protect continuity of operations … your equipment and valuable assets … and the lives of your workers.
View the E-Mat Installation Guide
Fire Protection Brochure for Oil & Gas (PDF 2.05Mb)
Protecting Critical Assets
3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat is significantly more flexible and conformable than rigid panel systems, making it easier to install on the complex shapes common in electrical systems. These thermal barriers can be used to wrap cable raceways, conduit, junction boxes and other electrical control systems – for full envelope protection.
- - Up to 3-hour electrical circuit protection from standard fires(ASTM E119)
- - Maintain circuit integrity for up to 78 min. from intense hydrocarbon heat per UL 1709 and ASTM E 1529
- - Low ampacity derating of cables
- - Re-enterable for cable alterations, maintenance and inspections
- - Continuity of operations during installation
3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mats can significantly reduce the installation time for fireproofing structural steel compared to messy spray-on materials or cementitious troweling applications. Whether used for retrofit or new construction, Interam E-Mat can be easily installed and maintained with virtually no disruption to operations.
- - Up to 4-hour protection for structural steel per UL 1709 and ASTM E119
- - Easy installation and cleanup
- - Won’t spall, crack or chip
- - Noncorrosive
3M™ Interam™ Endothermic Mat provides passive fire protection as an effective alternative or supplement to active systems for protecting against vessel failure. Applied directly to the vessel, these flexible mats are often used where water or other active protection systems are inadequate, such as in remote locations or where difficulties arise with traditional run-off.
When applied to vessel skirts and pipelines, Interam E-mat minimizes the effects of fire exposure by flame impingement in order to reduce the steel’s rate of temperature rise and to delay structural failure.
- - Meets NFPA 290 Standard for Fire Testing of Passive Protection Materials for Use on LP-Gas Containers
- - Protection where active systems are undersized, unreliable or unavailable
- - Re-enterable for cost-effective maintenance and inspection
- - Meets UL 1709 standards for hydrocarbon fire exposure