Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M's core values. At Northridge, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
Northridge EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of the 3M Northridge environmental strategy. In 2009 projects have prevented 32.7 tons of waste and saved $2.1 Million.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of the following accomplishments:
- ISO14001 Certification
- Employee led Behavior Based Safety Team actively engaged in finding solutions to safety opportunities and raising awareness.
- WRAP Award for achievement in waste reduction from State of California.
- Employee volunteerism for Habitat for Humanity, Nature Conservancy and Audubon Society
3M Northridge Environmental Policy
3M Northridge will continue to recognize and exercise its responsibility to:
- Solve our own environmental and conservation problems.
- Develop products that support a sustainable environment.
- Prevent pollution at the source wherever and whenever possible.
- Conserve natural resources through the use of optimized manufacturing operations, reclamation and other appropriate methods.
- Assure that our facilities and products are in compliance with applicable national, regional and local environmental requirements, and in conformance with other applicable environmental obligations.
- Assist, whenever possible, governmental agencies and other official organizations engaged in environmental activities.
- Foster continual improvement through company and employee initiative.