Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M’s core values. At 3M Unitek, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Managing Our Environmental Footprint
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Unitek’s EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results.
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Unitek’s environmental strategy. Since 1993, 3M Unitek has completed 12 3P projects which prevented more than 140 tons of waste and saved more than 160,000 dollars in the first year of the projects.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
- 3M Unitek received ISO 14001 certification in 2000.
- 3M Unitek has been presented the WRAP award for seven consecutive years, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. The State of California Integrated Waste Management Board (under Cal-EPA) bestowed the Waste Reduction Award Program award to 3M Unitek for its voluntary waste reduction efforts.
- 3M Unitek has been an active member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Performance Track Program since 2003. This program is voluntary and recognizes and drives environmental excellence by encouraging facilities with strong environmental records to go above and beyond their legal requirements.