Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M's core values. At 3M Menomonie, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Menomonie's EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of Menomonie’s environmental strategy. Since 1990, 3M Menomonie has completed 54 3P projects which prevented more than 161 tons of air pollution, 6,015 tons of waste, prevented 12,600 metric tons of Green House gas (GHG) emissions, saved almost 90,000 MMBTUs of energy, and saved almost 14 million dollars since the first year of the projects.
In 2007, the FMSCO (Film Manufacturing & Supply Chain Organization) Prism Manufacturing Group received recognition as 3P Corporate Project of the Year in the mobius (packaging) category. The project reduced finished coated film packaging weight by 40 percent, saved 672 tons of packaging material over previous design, and had first year cost savings of $1.4 million.
In 2008, the Specialty Fibers & Composites (SF&C) Department received recognition as corporate 3P Excellence Project of the Year for innovation and technical accomplishment for improving fiber quality, wire line speed, wire yield and process understanding/capability of a conductor composite. The project produced first year savings of $1.46 million in increased sales, prevented 14 tons of waste, and avoided 443 metric tons of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
- 3M Menomonie received ISO 14001 (international environmental management standard) certification in 2000.
- 3M Menomonie was recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a member in the National Environmental Performance Track (NEPT) for commitment to sound environmental management, continuous improvement, public outreach, and sustained environmental compliance for the years 2002-2008.
- 2001 Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) John Brogan Environmental Achievement Award (highest award given by the WDNR to a private or public organization regulated by the agency).
- 2001 Wisconsin Governor’s Award for Hazardous Waste Reduction for the Traffic Safety Systems Division (TSSD) waste evaporator project.
- 2005 Business Friend of the Environment Award – Wisconsin Manufacturers Council (WMC).
- WDNR Environmental Cooperative Pilot Program (ECPP) since 2002.
- 3M Menomonie site has been recognized by the Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC) as a certified wildlife site. Projects have included nest box monitoring for blue birds and wood ducks, wildlife shrub and tree planting, and prairie restoration.
- 2009 Wisconsin Governor’s Award for Excellence in Environmental Performance awarded for the Specialty Fibers & Composites (SF&C) department mineral spirits concentrator/thermal oxidizer project.
- Since 2004, 3M Menomonie has sponsored Earth Day activities with the Menomonie Public Schools donating over $20,000 for these events and having 3M Menomonie employees participate.
- Since 2005, as part of the Environmental Targets 2010 (ET10) environmental goals, 3M Menomonie has:
- Reduced air emissions/pound of good output by 49 percent,
- Reduced Waste /pound of good output by 25 percent, and
- 87 percent of our waste has been recycled or reused.