• Eliminates need to install tracer wire
• No access points or connections required
• Locate without the need of a transmitter
• Unique identification for each utility type
• Low installed costs
• Tape does not provide a path for lightning
• Signal path maintained even if the tape is cut or damaged
3M™ Electronic Marking System Caution Tape uses a new EMS marker technology embedded into a caution tape for installation near or above the buried facility and helps provide continuous path location. When energized using a 3M™ Dynatel™ 7000 series locator the markers are activated. The markers require no batteries, and there is no need to hook up an external transmitter or search for access points. The markers work independently, so even if a section of caution tape is cut or removed, the other markers on the tape would continue to provide accurate location.
Each version of 3M EMS Caution Tape is tuned to a frequency specific to the path of that utility (gas, telco, water, wastewater) and can be located to a maximum buried depth of two feet.