Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M's core values. At 3M Irvine, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Managing Our Environmental Footprint
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Irvine's EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results.
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Irvine's environmental strategy. Since 1983, 3M Irvine has completed 16 3P projects which prevented more than 8 tons of air pollution, and 277 tons of waste and saved more than $800,000 in the first year of the projects.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
- 2004: 3M's Chairman's EHS Leadership Award
- 2003: State of California “Flex Your Power” Energy Efficiency Award
- 2002: 3M's Chairman's EHS Leadership Award
- 2001: Charter Member of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's National Environmental Performance Track Program
- The National Environmental Performance Track is designed to recognize and encourage top environmental performers - those who go beyond compliance with regulatory requirements to attain levels of environmental performance and management that benefit people, communities, and the environment.
- 1997: OSHA's Voluntary Protection Plan Star Level
- The Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) promote effective worksite-based safety and health. In the VPP, management, labor, and OSHA establish cooperative relationships at workplaces that have implemented a comprehensive safety and health management system. Approval into VPP is OSHA's official recognition of the outstanding efforts of employers and employees who have achieved exemplary occupational safety and health.
- 1996: ISO 14001 certification