Biological indicators provide the best assurance of sterility by challenging the sterilizer with quantifiable, highly resistant Geobacillus stearothermophilus spores. The system includes Rapid Readout biological indicators, disposable test packs, auto-readers and log books. Biological indicators are used for load control monitoring which is the process by which a load is monitored and released based on the result of a biological indicator (BI) in a test pack.
3M™ Attest™ 1292 Rapid Readout Biological Indicators for 121°C/250°F gravity and 132°C/270°F vacuum-assisted cycles
Self-contained BI for 121°C/250°F gravity and 132°C/270°F vacuum-assisted cycles consisting of a Geobacillus stearothermophilus spore strip; sealed glass ampule with growth medium and dual indicator system; brown color-coded cap with holes for sterilant penetration and a filter as a bacterial barrier; and a chemical indicator on the label that changes from rose to brown when processed. After sterilization, the vial is "crushed" to join the growth media with the processed spore strip. The BI is incubated for three hours in the 3M™ Attest™ 290 Series Auto-reader for a fluorescent reading.
Note: These products must be used with Cat. No. 290 or 3M™ Attest™ Auto-reader. Contact 3M Health Care sales rep for details.
- Provides results in three hours
- Self-contained biological indicators significantly reduce possibility of contamination, minimizing false positives and assuring more accurate results
- Faster result time, making it possible to quarantine every load and eliminate recalls
- System can help reduce the costs associated with fighting infections - cost measured in both dollars and time spent
- Color-coded for quick reference and easy use
- Test packs present a challenge to the sterilization process and meet AAMI test pack recommendations