Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M's core values. At 3M Hutchinson, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Hutchinson's EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Hutchinson's environmental strategy. Since 1977, 3M Hutchinson has completed 89 3P projects which prevented more than 19,800 tons of air pollution, 130 tons of water pollution, and 12,800 tons of waste and saved more than 47 million dollars since the first year of the projects.
Example Project: Post-it® Flags Packaging Redesigned to Reduce Waste
A Pollution Prevention Pays (3P) team from 3M Hutchinson redesigned the packaging of 3M's Post-it® Flags to reduce waste by eliminating the back card and plastic blister cover from the packaging. In the original process, the Post-it® Flags were produced at 3M Hutchinson and shipped off-site for packaging by an outside vendor. Today, the product is packaged on-site, saving 3M over $350,000 and reducing 35 tons of waste annually.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
- Environmental Management Systems registered to ISO 14001-2004
- Quality Systems compliant to ISO 9001-200, with areas registered to ISO 9001-2000 and ISO/TS 16949-2002
- 3M Hutchinson was awarded three of 3M's Chairman's EHS Leadership Awards
- In 2006 for the development of an innovative new a risk assessment and reduction process
- In 2003 for development of an environmental emissions tracking and reporting program
- In 2002 for development of Non-Lead Vinyl Electrical Tape