Refrigerated Food Industry Offers Hot Opportunity for Film Sales
Refrigerated van trailers are one of the few growth opportunities in the fleet market. Find out why these “reefers” present potential sales opportunities for you and get tips on how to target this market.
Why the uptick in reefer sales? Here are a few reasons:
- Emission standards: California now enforces stricter emission standards for diesel-powered refrigeration units. The regulations cover reefer trailers and containers based in California and any that cross the state’s borders. Regulations are forcing companies to retrofit or to purchase new reefer equipment.
- The recession: Reefers play a bigger role in the local grocery supply chain as more families choose to save money by buying groceries and eating at home.
Read on for valuable product and sales tips on capturing opportunities that reefers may present for your business.
Sell More Full-Size Graphics
A vast majority of reefers transport perishable foods (meats‚ seafoods‚ produce or dairy products) to distribution centers‚ supermarkets and homes.
For the image- and brand- conscious food industry‚ visual appeal is key to conveying a brand message‚ whether it’s wholesome‚ fresh or delicious. That’s why full-size graphics‚ rather than cut letters‚ are more likely to sell brands. And that can mean more film sales for you!
For reliable image quality‚ consistency and durability‚ recommend products‚ such as 3M™ Controltac™ Graphic Film with Comply™ v3 Adhesive IJ180Cv3.
Sell More Reflective Graphics
Although reefers are on the road at all hours of the day‚ many make their deliveries at night or early in the morning. During the dusk/dawn hours and in inclement weather‚ visibility is important for safety and for advertising 24/7.
To keep those ads working for brand owners‚ recommend reflective graphics with excellent image quality and durability‚ such as 3M™ Scotchlite™ Removable Reflective Graphic Film with Comply™ Adhesive IJ680CR.
Ripe for Repeat Business
Because reefers lose the ability to keep their cargo cool as the insulation ages and their refrigeration unit wears out‚ reefers have a life span of only 5-7 years versus dry vans‚ which average about 10-15 years. More turnover could mean repeat business for you!
Tip 1: Think local! Reefers range in size from trailers and heavy trucks to vans. Look at regional and local business of all sizes.
Remember that larger corporations may own the fleets‚ but many still operate under local brand names.
- Local meat/poultry processors‚ dairy farms.
- Specialty foods companies and home milk delivery services.
- Catering businesses and grocery stores that make home deliveries.
Tip 2: Offer companies the option to periodically refresh advertising or product selections using changeable promotional panels.
For changeable films‚ look to graphic products that offer fast installation and no-heat removal at the right price. Recommend 3M™ Controltac™ Changeable Graphic Film with Comply™ Adhesive IJ3552C‚ 3M™ Scotchcal™ Changeable Graphic Film IJ3555 or 3M™ Scotchcal™ Graphic Film IJ36-20.