Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M's core values. At 3M Flemington, our EHS Mission is Safe and Healthy People, Products, and Planet.
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Flemington's EHS Management System promotes safety, health and sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results.
The Pollution Prevention Pays (3P) Program began in 1975 with the goal of eliminating or reducing sources of pollution in 3M products and processes. The program has been recognized the world over for its innovation in environmental management by focusing on pollution prevention, rather than pollution control. Since program inception, 3M has developed over 8,100 projects that have prevented over 2.96 billion pounds of pollution in their first year.
This prevention approach has become standard practice at 3M. The company is engaged in a continuing effort to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, recycling and the recovery of waste materials for resale. These efforts are generally the result of employees that view pollution prevention as a personal responsibility rather than a job requirement.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of the following accomplishments:
- OSHA Injury & Illness Rate
- ISO 14001 Registration
- 3M Chairman’s EHS Leadership Award
- 3M Applied Ergonomic Innovation Award
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Certificates of Environmental Stewardship (2008, 2009) for our voluntary and proactive measures taken to go beyond compliance in an effort to improve the environment and ensure a sustainable future.