Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M’s core values. At 3M Cordova, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Managing Our Environmental Footprint
Environmental Health and Safety, and Management System
3M Cordova's EHS Management System promotes sound environmental, health and safety management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results.
3M Cordova’s Environmental Responsible Care® Program
an initiative of the American Chemistry Council
3M Cordova will continue to recognize and exercise its responsibility to:
- Solve our own environmental and conservation problems.
- Prevent pollution at the source wherever and whenever possible.
- Develop products that support a sustainable environment.
- Conserve natural resources through the use of optimized manufacturing operations, reclamation, and other appropriate methods.
- Assure that our facility and products meet and sustain the regulations of all federal, state, and local agencies.
- Assist, wherever possible, governmental agencies and other official organizations engaged in environmental, health, safety, and security activities.
- Foster continual improvement through company and employee initiative.
- Set and review environmental, health, safety, and security objectives and targets appropriate to our activities, products, and services.
- Support the Guiding Principles of Responsible Care®.
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporary and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Cordova’s environmental strategy. Since 1976, 3M Cordova has completed 448 3P projects which prevented more than 153,721 tons of pollution to the air, water, and land and has also saved approximately 93 million dollars since the first year of the projects.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
Awards and Certifications
- 3M Cordova received ISO 14001 certification in 2000 and RC 14001 certification in 2010.
- The 3M Cordova site has dedicated approximately 54 acres for a Prairie Restoration Project. The project has been active since 2004 when the site received a grant to restore prairie species in the sandy soil. The Prairie Restoration Project consists of monitoring the species that are present and conducting planned prairie burns to control undesirable weeds and various trees. The Prairie Restoration Project is located on the east side of Route 84 across from the plant.
- 3M Cordova has installed a Thermal Oxidizer to reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions. This earned us the 3M 2006 Chairman’s Leadership EHS Award.
- 3M Cordova participates in the “Adopt-A-Highway” program and is responsible for clean up of the four mile stretch of state highway on which the plant is located.
- 3M Cordova received ISO 50001 Energy Management, ANSI/MSE 50021 Superior Energy Performance certification in 2012 and is a Silver Certified Partner.