Brookings 3M Plant Celebrates 40th Anniversary
It started in 1971 as a 250,000 square foot manufacturing plant with about 50 employees. Forty years later, 3M Brookings has more than doubled in size and employs well over 800 people. The Brookings plant began as a production facility for medical tapes and masks and now manufactures nearly 1,500 items.
The plant celebrated with a community open house and plant tours in recognition of the hard work of 3M employees and support from the surrounding community. Visitors were also treated to an up close look at the No.16 car belonging to Greg Biffles’ 3M sponsored NASCAR team. The festivities continued with an employee family fun day event and evening concert by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
SDSU Science Center Receives $250,000 from 3M
In 2011, the 3M Foundation contributed $250,000 to the Avera Health and Science Center at South Dakota State University (SDSU) in Brookings. The university named a chemistry laboratory after 3M in recognition of the company’s leadership gift. Dr. James Rice, head of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at SDSU stated that this investment shows that 3M values and is willing to invest in the long-term education of students who are interested in a career in science.
3M Brookings’ Wellness Committee Plans Fair, Various Events
The 3M Brookings Wellness Committee continuously is in the process of planning
a variety of fun activities for employee involvement. The committee’s mission
is to encourage and promote healthy lifestyles for 3M employees and their
families through education and activities which emphasize mental, physical and
Some activities the Wellness Committee has organized include fitness
incentive programs, laboratory screenings, and various wellness educational
programs. Also, every other spring, 3M Brookings has a Wellness Fair which
allows vendors from the community to participate. This event is always well
received by employees and is consistently considered a big success.
3M Brookings Receives Several Awards in 2007
- South Dakota Governor’s Award for Safety
- Regional 8 EPA Environmental Achievement award
- South Dakota State Wildlife Federation Conservationist of the year
- 3M Platinum (highest) level Energy Award
3M Brookings Earns Numerous Awards in 2006
- National EPA Environmental Achievement Award
- OSHA VPP (Voluntary Protection Partnership) STAR Award
- Platinum Energy Reduction Award
- Corporate Chairman’s EHS (Environmental, Health & Safety) Award
- 3P Innovation, Technical Circle of Excellence and Maintenance Conscious Engineering Awards for the Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer (RTO)
- “Top 5 Plant” recognition by Environmental Protection magazine
- South Dakota Governor’s Meritorious Safety Award
For recent news, visit our News website.