Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M’s core values. 3M Austin achieves this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Austin’s Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations‚ drive sustainable growth‚ and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees‚ customers‚ regulators‚ environmental groups‚ and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated‚ holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues‚ developing formal action plans‚ setting goals and measuring results.
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the Pollution Prevention Pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective‚ technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources‚ energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls‚ and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation‚ process modification‚ equipment redesign‚ and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Austin Plant’s environmental strategy. Since 1996‚ 3M Austin Plant has completed eight 3P projects which prevented more than 190 tons of air pollution‚ 102 tons of waste‚ and saved more than $200‚000 in the first year of the projects.
Key Environmental Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of the following accomplishments:
- OSHA Voluntary Protection Program VPP Star Certification since 2008
- City of Austin Wastewater Services “Excellence in Pretreatment Award” 1999-2008
- City of Austin‚ Excellence in Pretreatment Award 1997 through 2003‚ 2005 through 2007
- Texas Environmental Excellence Award Finalist (Large Business Technical) 2006
- 3M Pollution Prevention Pays Excellence Award – Green Energy 2006
- 3M CEO Safety and Health Award 1997 through 1999‚ 2001 through 2005
- Environmental Protection Magazine Facility of the Year 2003
- Member of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality’s (TCEQ) “Clean Texas Program” Since 2003
- Wildlife Habitat Certification since 2003
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Green Power Partnership‚ Founding Partner 2002
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) National Environmental Performance Track Member Since 2002
- Austin Sustainable Business Council – Environmental Vision Award – Sustainable Business Practices 2002
- City of Austin “Water Conservation Award” 2002
- Clean Air Partners Program member since 2002
- Austin Corporate Recycling Council‚ Environmental Vision Award‚ Recycling and Waste Management 2001
- Environmental Management Systems: ISO 4001: 2000
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Green Lights Partner 1994
To learn more about 3M’s Environmental‚ Health and Management System and environmental policy‚ please download:
3M Worldwide Environmental Facts (pdf‚ 63 KB)