On-line paint masking is done to repair color coat or clear coat defects during the painting process on doors and other applications.
Must withstand up to 300° F (148° C) up to 30 minutes, provide complete coverage and leave no adhesive residue upon removal.
Scotch™ Paint Masking Tape 231/231A is pulled off a 3M™ Apron Taper, attached to 3M™ Gross Masking Film 7300, and applied along the inside edge of the window frame in the door to seal the window opening. The masking tape is cleanly removed after paint has been baked in the paint oven.
Scotch™ High Performance Masking Tape 2693
Scotch™ Performance Masking Tape 2380, 2364
Scotch™ Premium High Temperature Masking Tape 2393
Related Application Ideas
On-line repair masking for paint on passenger cars, minivans and full size vans.
- 3M™ adhesive: Sticks instantly and easily, allowing fast application and clean removal after bake cycle.
- Controlled crepe paper backing: Smooth surface provides good surface contact and secure holding to the first color coat, while allowing easy removal.
- Conformable: Easy handling allows quick application.
- Excellent holding power: Resists lifting or curling, helping to minimize rework.
- Excellent high temperature performance: Scotch™ Paint Masking Tape 231 or 231A resists temperatures up to 300° F (148° C) up to 30 minutes, firmly holding under heat strain during the oven bake cycle and allowing easy removal afterwards.
- Easy to use: Easy tear provides good handling; dead stretch allows minimal recovery, helping to reduce rework.
- Special back size treatment: Provides controlled unwind, making the tape easy to use and helping to reduce waste.
- Sliver resistance: Easy removal helps reduce labor.