Environmental Health and Safety
Protecting our social and physical environment is one of 3M’s core values. At 3M Aberdeen, we achieve this through our commitment to proactive environmental management.
Managing Our Environmental Footprint
Environmental Health and Safety Management System
3M Aberdeen’s EHS Management System promotes sound environmental management. It helps us to manage the environmental footprint of our operations, drive sustainable growth, and address the expectations of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include our employees, customers, regulators, environmental groups, and the communities surrounding our plant.
Our EHS Management System:
- Includes an integrated, holistic system that anticipates and addresses long-term issues and drives continuous improvement.
- Promotes a strategic planning process that integrates EHS issues into business planning.
- Includes a process for identifying issues, developing formal action plans, setting goals and measuring results.
3M pioneered the concept of pollution prevention with the creation of the pollution prevention pays (3P) program in 1975. The 3P program is based on the reality that pollution prevention is more environmentally effective, technically sound and economical than conventional pollution control equipment. Natural resources, energy and money are used to build conventional pollution controls, and more resources are consumed operating them. Conventional controls are temporarily and do not eliminate the problem. 3P seeks to eliminate pollution at the source through product reformulation, process modification, equipment redesign, and the recycling and reuse of waste materials.
3P is a key element of 3M Aberdeen’s environmental strategy. Since 1978, 3M Aberdeen has completed over 100 3P projects.
Key Environmental Health and Safety Accomplishments
We are particularly proud of our work around the following:
- 3M Aberdeen received ISO 14001 certification in 1998 and has been recertified each year since.
- 3M Aberdeen received OSHA VPP (Voluntary Protection Programs) Star certification in 2002 and was recertified in 2005 and 2012. This marked the 15th year of Star Certification.
- 3M Aberdeen received EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Performance Track certification in 2004 and was recertified in 2007.
- The State of South Dakota Safety Council Award of Honor recipient in 2004 and 2005.
- The State of South Dakota Safety Council Meritorious Award recipient in 2007.
3M Sustainability Website