3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ EarPlugs
Discover what makes 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ earplugs different
As the world's first foam earplug, the E-A-R Classic earplug revolutionized hearing protection in the workplace. Since its introduction more than 40 years ago, no other earplug has been studied and assessed in the field more comprehensively than the E-A-R Classic. Explore this site and discover why the E-A-R Classic earplugs remain one of the most popular choices in the world today for attenuation, comfort and ease-of-fit. Available in three different sizes and a wide range of packaging options to better meet the needs of the individual wearer.
Attenuation – the measure of protection
Attenuation is the measure of sound reduction levels achieved by a hearing protector. Attenuation levels of a foam earplug can be affected by the chemistry of the material used, this includes its density, the foam cell structure as well its physical shape. The attenuation values of 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ earplug are provided below:
What makes a comfortable earplug?
The comfort of an earplug cannot be assessed by its look or feel. The only true measure of comfort is through user experience. 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ earplugs offer distinct features that have helped make Classic products a preference of workers and industrial safety professionals for over 40 years.
Their unique, in-ear characteristics, such as shape, density, texture and resistance to moisture, ensure all-day comfort and protection in a wide range of working environments.
- Reduced ear canal pressure: The unique slow recovery foam used in E-A-R Classic earplugs creates lower pressure in the ear canal than other foams for outstanding comfort throughout the day.
- Sweat and humidity resistant: E-A-R Classic foam is resistant to moisture. Absorption for consistent fitting, even in humid environments.
- Stays in place: Classic earplugs are firm when rolled-down for fitting and soften after fitting to fully, and comfortably, seal the ear canal for noise reduction.
Why is ease-of-fit so important?
Every ear canal is unique, which is why ease-of-fit is so important in optimizing hearing protection. This is where the vinyl foam of the 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ earplug has a material advantage over other foam plugs. E-A-R Classic earplugs have just the right balance of softness and firmness. The foam is initially firm to make fitting the plug easier, then softens once it's in the ear to help comfortably conform to the unique shape of each ear canal. See below for fitting instructions.
Hands and plugs should be clean before fitting.
- ROLL plug slowly with thumb & fingers (fig A). Gradually increase pressure to COMPRESS plug to a very thin crease-free cylinder.
- INSERT compressed plug well into ear canal WHILE PULLING ear outward & upward with opposite hand (fig B).
- CHECK FIT after plug expands in ear. TOUCH plug. You should feel only the end of plug (fig C). If you feel most of plug outside the ear canal (fig D) remove plug & repeat fitting. LISTEN to steady loud noise with plugs in both ears. Cover ears with tightly cupped hands. Noise should sound about the same whether or not ears are covered. If you cannot obtain a good fit, try a different size or type of hearing protector.
- Figure A
- Figure B
- Figure C
- Figure D
Usage, Cleaning and Storage
- Wipe dirt or debris from earplugs before reusing
- Replace foam earplugs when they become damaged or when they no longer recover to their original shape, softness or expansion characteristics after removal from the ear
- Store earplugs in original packaging out of direct sunlight
The E-A-Rfit Validation System makes it easy to measure every employee's unique level of protection and takes the guesswork out of managing compliance in your hearing conservation program.
E-A-Rfit is a service program designed to help validate hearing protection and compliance. It delivers an objective, quantitative measurement of each employee's protection, so you can better protect your workforce while helping employees understand the importance of proper fit. With the E-A-Rfit validation System, your employees will learn how to properly insert their 3M earplug, and you'll have the confidence that they are wearing the right earplug for their environment.
- It is fast, quantitative and objective
- Provides a personal Attenuation Rating (PAR) of hearing protectors
- Offers training for consistent fit
- Provides documentation for compliance reporting
New to 3M E-A-R Classics or you would like to take another look?
Request product now!
Classic earplugs were the industry's first foam earplug - virtually revolutionizing hearing protection. Today, the revolution continues. The Classic product line has been expanded to meet more wearer and environmental needs with its proprietary foams, preferred cylindrical shape, and proven ear comfort.