Optimized Operations (O2)
If you are a recent graduate in a discipline such as engineering; environmental, health and safety (EHS); supply chain analysis, and statistics, our Optimized Operations (O2) program may be a great development opportunity for you.
As an O2, you will work in a 3M business for an average of 12-18 months during which you will master and apply Lean Six Sigma methodologies. You will also learn supply chain principles along with project management, leadership, interpersonal and facilitation skills. You will directly apply five weeks of formal training to projects you lead at 3M's manufacturing plants, development facilities, and distribution centers across the U.S.
The goal at the end of the program is to develop and place you into a role where you can continue to contribute to 3M, most likely at the location where you started.
We are looking for high energy future leaders to fill positions across the U.S. in various locations, such as:
- Process/Product Engineering in plants
- Manufacturing Technology - these groups typically work on scaling up new products from R&D into a plant, or on product maintenance, typically at our headquarters in Maplewood, MN
- Supply Chain Analysis/Production Planning either in plants or our headquarters in Maplewood, MN
- Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS), typically in plants or our U.S. distribution centers
- Statistician, either in plants or our headquarters in Maplewood, MN
- Quality, either in plants or our headquarters in Maplewood, MN
- Maintenance Engineering in plants
Visit our recruiters at one of our events.
We are looking for undergraduates or Master’s degree candidates in fields such as chemical, mechanical, industrial and electrical engineering, supply chain or logistics operations, statistics, manufacturing sciences and safety-related programs with
- Less than three years since graduation
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA
- At least one prior manufacturing related work experience (such as internships or co-op experiences).
Apply now. Enter “Optimized” in the Keywords field.
O2s are hired into the program at different times throughout the year depending upon business needs. We fill requests from U.S. locations based on their desired discipline(s) and timing of the hire(s).
You will work at your assigned location for the duration of the program and attend five weeks of training over the course of your first year at corporate headquarters in Maplewood, Minnesota.
O2s usually wear two “hats” while in the program:
- Project Management: You will lead high-impact Lean Six Sigma projects which are critical to the future success of the business. Each O2 will have a different experience and projects depending upon the location and business. Typical projects are in the areas of yield, changeover, inventory reduction, or similar areas where there is a business need to improve.
- Functional Tasks: You will complete daily work in your area of expertise, such as production planning as an analyst or process engineering tasks as an engineer.
Alice – Lean Manufacturing Engineer
3M Abrasives Systems Division
"I entered 3M with a ready-made network of other new hires in my field."
Key learnings from being in the O2 Program:
"I have learned that as a member of a technical team it is OK to ask questions. When you ask questions you not only are able to learn but you also can help spark discussions within the group that will ultimately lead to better solutions."