Table of Contents
- Web Site Privacy Statements
- Your Consent
- Information You Voluntarily Provide
- Information Automatically Gathered
- Cookie Settings on Your Computer
- Use and Sharing of Your Information
- Security of Your Personal Information
- Safe Harbor
- Links to Third Party Internet Sites
- Access to Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Questions about this Policy or our Privacy Statements
- Changes to this Policy and our Privacy Statements
3M respects your right to privacy. This policy summarizes what personally identifiable information and other information we may collect, how we may use this information and other important topics relating to your privacy and data protection.
It is 3M policy to comply with all applicable privacy and data protection laws. This commitment reflects the value we place on earning and keeping the trust of our customers, business partners and others who share their personal information with us.
This Policy applies to all Internet sites operated by or on behalf of 3M and includes 3M business units worldwide (each a “3M Internet Site”).
Although this Policy applies to all 3M Internet Sites, each 3M Internet Site has a different purpose and different features. If additional or different disclosures are required for a specific 3M Internet Site, then we provide those disclosures on the site itself or provide a separate Web Site Privacy Statement posted on that site. Each individual disclosure or Policy Statement on the 3M Web Site supplements and amends this Policy.
3M collects the information you knowingly and voluntarily provide in order to benefit from a feature or participate in an activity on a 3M Internet Site. For example, 3M may collect your information so you may receive email alerts, when you complete a survey, or when you ask for product information, ask a question or email us with feedback. In many cases this information may include collection of personal information.
3M only uses your information for the purposes for which you provide it. For example, if you provide your e-mail address when you sign up to receive e-mail alerts, we use your e-mail address to deliver the e-mail alerts you request.
Many of the 3M Internet Sites permit you to make choices about the use of your personal information. In most cases, we ask you to indicate your choices at the time and on the page where you provide your personal information.
We may also use the information we collect on 3M Internet Sites for various business purposes such as customer service, fraud prevention, improving our products and services, or providing you and your company with information and offers we believe may be of interest to you. We may also remove all the personally identifiable information and use the rest for historical, statistical or scientific purposes.
3M collects information sent to us automatically by your web browser. This information typically includes the IP address of your Internet service provider, the name of your operating system (such as Macintosh® or Windows®) and the name and version of your browser (such as Internet Explorer® or Safari®). The information we receive depends on the settings on your web browser. Please check your browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
We use this information to help us improve our sites and make them more compatible with the technology used by our Internet visitors.
A “cookie” is a file of information placed on your device when you visit a website. Cookies and similar technologies can enhance your user experience by saving your preferences, personalizing your online experience, holding items in your shopping cart, and sometimes providing you with advertising which is tailored to your interests.
All of our 3M Internet Sites use “session cookies”. A session cookie does not identify you personally and expires after you close your browser. For example, when you use the 3M Product Catalogue, we place a session cookie to note what pages you have viewed. We can use this information to provide you recommendations of other products that may be of interest.
Some 3M Internet sites also use “persistent cookies”. These cookies do not expire when you close your browser. Persistent cookies stay on your computer until you delete them or they expire. By assigning your computer a unique identifier, we are able to create a database of your previous choices and preferences which can be provided by us automatically, saving you time and effort on future visits. For example, after you make a purchase, if you decide to make another purchase, your shipping address may have been retained and will only need to be confirmed.
At any time when visiting a 3M UK Internet site, clicking on the “Cookie Preferences” link at the bottom of each page allows you to access information on cookies and change your settings.
- When you select “Cookie Preferences”, a box will display with an overview of cookie use on the site. You can accept the cookies or learn about the cookies in more detail.
- If you select “More Information” a box will display giving you more detailed options for your cookie preferences. Simply review the cookie descriptions, slide the bar, and you can select what types of cookies to allow on your visit.
- Note that you cannot opt out of the Required Cookies as they are essential for site function.
- When you have finished making your selection, click “Submit Preferences” and proceed with your visit.
Although you are not required to accept cookies when you visit a 3M Internet Site, you may be unable to use all of the functionality of the site if you reject certain cookies.
In addition, your browser may allow you to adjust settings to accept or reject cookies, or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer.
3M will not sell personal information collected from its Internet sites to mailing list brokers without your express consent.
Many of our 3M Internet Sites permit you to make choices about the disclosure and/or transfer of your personal information. In most cases, we ask you to indicate your choices at the time and on the page where you provide your personal information.
3M will not disclose personal information about our Internet Site visitors except as described here:
- Except as specifically stated, we may use information collected from 3M Internet sites to improve the content of our Site, to customize the site to your preferences, to communicate information to you (if you have requested it) for our marketing and research purposes, and for any other purposes specified in a Site.
- 3M may share your personal information with other 3M business units. When we do so, these other 3M business units will use your information in a manner consistent with the purposes for which it was originally collected (or to which you later consented).
3M may also share your personal information with third parties we hire to perform support services for us. These third parties are required to use the personal information we share with them only to perform services on our behalf and to treat your personal information as strictly confidential in compliance with all applicable privacy and data protection laws.
- In some cases, 3M may share your personal information with third parties who partner with us to provide products and services to our customers, such as distributors. If so, we will require our business partners to use that information in a manner consistent with the purposes for which it was originally collected (or to which you subsequently consented) and only as permitted under this Policy, any applicable Country or Web Site Privacy Statements, and all applicable privacy and data protection laws.
- In certain, limited circumstances we may share or transfer personal information to unrelated third parties. For example, we may provide personal information to a third party (i) at your request; (ii) to comply with a legal requirement or court order; (iii) to investigate a possible crime, such as identity theft; (iv) in connection with the sale, purchase, merger, reorganization, liquidation or dissolution of 3M or a 3M business unit; or (v) under similar circumstances. If such an event occurs, we will take appropriate steps to protect your personal information.
Your personal information will be stored in 3M databases or databases maintained by our service providers. Most of these databases are stored on servers located in the United States.
3M maintains reasonable safeguards to protect the security, confidentiality, and integrity of your personal information. For example, we use secure technology to transfer personal information over the Internet.
We limit access to personal information to those who have a business need.
Although we use security measures to help protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure, misuse or alteration, please keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever completely secure or error-free. 3M will not be responsible for breaches of security beyond our reasonable control.
3M has certified compliance with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework with regard to certain categories of personally identifiable information transferred to the United States from the EU, EEA and Switzerland. Click here for more information regarding 3M's Safe Harbor certification.Links to Third Party Internet Sites
You may review, correct and update personal information you provide to us at a 3M Internet Site by using the feedback mechanisms provided at a particular 3M Internet Site, by contacting us by email, or by writing to us at 3M, Business Conduct and Compliance, 220-11W-02, 3M Center, 3M Company, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000.
How long we keep your personal information will vary and will depend on the purpose and use of information collected. There are legal requirements that we keep some types of data for specific periods. Otherwise, we will retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the data was collected.
Most 3M Internet Sites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. 3M will not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from or about children on its Internet Sites except as permitted under applicable law.
If you have any questions about this Policy or a Country or Web Site Privacy Statement or our use of your personal information, please contact us by email or by writing to us at
3M Company, Business Conduct and Compliance
3M Center 220-11W-02
St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
This Policy was last revised on 26th January 2015.