Placing the braces
This is how to fit braces into your mouth
The time has come, the treatment plan is finished, your braces are ordered and ready to fit. No fear, it doesn't hurt!
Preparing tooth surfaces
1) Before your orthodontist can fasten the braces onto your teeth, they need to be cleaned with special brushes and polishers.
2) He then roughens the tooth surfaces with a special gel. This is the only way to get the brace adhesive to stick.
Attaching the brace
3) When your tooth surfaces are ready, the orthodontist sticks each brace to your teeth using positioners and a special glue.
4) The special glue will, in most cases, be cured with a special light for 3-5 seconds for every brace. Then the orthodontist fixes the part of the system which actually makes the dental correction to the braces: an archwire.
5) To keep the archwire from slipping, the orthodontist places small rubber bands around each bracket. Self-ligating braces clamp the archwire to them using a clip. So rubber bands are not needed with them.
6) When the archwire sheet has been fitted and securely attached, your braces are ready to go!
7) Finally, your orthodontist tells you exactly how to use your new braces.
The first days with braces
In the first days after being fitted, your braces may still feel a bit funny in your mouth. No fear: This is perfectly normal, after all, your mouth still has to get used to the braces. But you usually stop noticing them after a little while.