Below-par hygiene standards can lead to a number of problems in the restaurant trade, such as food contamination - which seems to have been an issue for one establishment in south Wales in recent times.
Peachy Keens in Swansea has confessed to overseeing the contamination of food that had the potential to leave customers ill. The South Wales Evening Post reported that the restaurant has admitted the food in question may have been unfit to eat.
One World Buffet - the company that runs the eatery - pleaded guilty at Swansea Magistrates' Court to four charges of breaching food hygiene regulations, while another five counts were dropped by prosecutors at the court.
Bosses claimed that all of the problems it was responsible for had been inherited from the previous occupants and their firm had only taken over the running of the restaurant several weeks before hygiene inspectors showed up in November last year.
Anand Prakash, director of One World Buffet, spoke of the charges and said: "These occurred about a year ago when, a very short time before, we had taken over the restaurant. We inherited structural issues from the old company and there have been very extensive interventions since. There are no longer any issues."
The organisation must now wait until next week for sentencing, with a decision on any potential punishment expected on Monday (November 26th).
Such a case may illustrate exactly why restaurants and other businesses working with food must take hygiene extremely seriously. Investing in cleaning products and keeping all areas of kitchens and store rooms clean and tidy should be considered a priority.
Among the offences that Peachy Keens was charged with were failing to keep premises clean and failing to ensure that processing and production steps were carried out with hygiene in mind.
Its mistakes may now be used as an example of how not to deal with food hygiene in a restaurant setting by other eateries around the UK.