A restaurant has been hit with a fine after it was found to have failed to comply with some of the most important hygiene regulations.
The Pride of India eatery in Inverness Terrace, Bayswater, has been fined £4,500 for breaching several regulations, reports West End Extra. It appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court last week, where it discovered its fate and was also told it must cough up more than £4,000 in legal fees.
Inspectors raised the alarm after an examination of the premises uncovered several problems. For instance, a dead cockroach was discovered at the site in central London, while a second bug was found in a storage room and inspectors noticed dirt behind the freezer.
Elsewhere, a drainage channel in the kitchen was found to be partially open and an open hopper connected to the rainwater pipe resulted in a strong smell of urine being pumped through the area. The space in question was used for food preparation and storage.
Such a case illustrates how important it is for restaurants to use cleaning products and spend plenty of time ensuring their premises are clean and tidy. Failure to do so can not only land businesses in court, where they face numerous potential penalties, but also damage their reputation and make local consumers less likely to eat in their dining hall again.
In the case of the Pride of India, the floor of the walk-in refrigerator was found to be covered in food stains. Perhaps of even greater concern is the fact that kitchen staff questioned by the inspectors showed a lack of understanding of food hygiene and exactly what they must do to ensure the premises are clean and safe.
Educating staff could be one of the first priorities of any food business, from restaurants and cafes to factories, as their knowledge will prove to be invaluable in the long run, helping a firm prevent breaches of hygiene regulations and the possible consequences of these.