A restaurant in Northern Ireland has given an example of how not to go about producing high standards of hygiene in a food environment, after it was fined for breaching several health and safety regulations.
The Bombay Brasserie in Belfast has been hit with a £450 penalty while it must also pay costs, reports the Belfast Telegraph. It was found to have committed three separate offences, each of which came to light during an inspection last year.
Belfast City Council claimed "poor standards of cleanliness and food hygiene were found throughout the premises". Other problems included a significant build-up of grease and food residue around the floors and on equipment.
Mahabur Rahmen, owner of the establishment, said the poor inspection had been down to the fact his business was flooded shortly before it was examined. He noted that its previous one-star rating had now been updated to four stars following a further inspection.
Speaking about the period after the initial discovery of poor hygiene, he explained: "We were still open, one part of the business. The council didn't think it was a serious thing or that there would be food poisoning. It wasn't clean enough. We quarantined one area, but we couldn't close down.
We are four star now and we are thinking we are ready for a five star."
Belfast City Council has recently confirmed that the restaurant now meets the standards it expects of food businesses. However, many others around the country that do not wish to fall into trouble could tackle the issue immediately by training staff and investing in the best cleaning products.
Mr Rahmen added that another factor that contributed to the poor rating the Bombay Brasserie initially achieved was the fact the building was undergoing renovations at the time of the inspection.
Firms that are aware of such projects being in the pipeline that could affect them might be wise to take action to ensure they have no impact on the hygiene of their kitchen.