As vehicles become an extension of our personalities, end user customers increasingly demand a range of accessories, styling and comfort options to tailor their vehicle and driving experience. At 3M, we can help you bring innovative design features to life. Many of our products have properties that enable flexibility in mass production operations; our customised converted solutions can also help you to meet specific application requirements, reduce weight and improve costs and process efficiency.
The 3M team of automotive manufacturing specialists are on hand to offer advice and find the best solution for your particular challenge.
Design & Styling
Enable tomorrow’s designs, today. The 3M range of innovative solutions for automotive manufacturing help you bring ideas to life with greater flexibility and freedom, even in mass production operations.
- 3M offer Exterior Trim Films that can replicate expensive chrome or painted black trim to transform the conventional brightwork areas of a vehicle. The product can be used to change the appearance of matt or low gloss TPO / EPDM materials used in continuous extrusion processes for a wide range of vehicle exterior components for examples Waist Belts, Bumper/Fascia, Fog Lamp Trim, Rocker Panel and many more.
- To complement our exterior films, 3M offers a number of film finishes including aluminium, carbon and wood within our Interior Trim Film range. This allows our customers to offer drivers a wide selection of trim finishes without extensive further investment.
- High performance 3M™ Structural Adhesives allow designers far greater freedom when it comes to bonding panels, bonnets and flanges into striking body styles: mechanical fixings are eliminated and there is no requirement for clip channels or other surface preparation mechanisms.
- Our trim attachment solutions allow you to add optional extras such as spoilers remove the need for restrictive fastenings such as clips, screws and channels. Products like 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape and 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners allow new combinations of varying substrates, such as plastics, metal and wood, to be securely joined together with no visible impact on the surface finish.
- 3M™ Paint Protection Films defend sensitive areas like flared wheel arches from abrasion and stone damage, whilst our range of paint replacement and provide a flexible, attractive alternative to paint or plastic cladding. Learn more about 3M Engineered Films.
For customised advice on our products for design flexibility, contact a 3M specialist.
3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation enables more cost effective use of insulation materials. The value of the product is that it can dramatically reduce cabin noise allowing for more peaceful journeys. With its higher acoustic performance per unit weight, less Thinsulate is required to achieve the same level of noise reduction when compared to traditional materials. This highly conformable and easy to recycle material can be used in a wide variety of application areas. An additional benefit is reliable and energy efficient attachment with ultrasonic welding to component parts.
Together with 3M™ Thinsulate™ Material, products from the 3M range of acoustic solutions can help manufacturers manage the root causes of mechanical or external sounds, thereby reducing wear caused by friction and improving driver comfort.
- 3M™ PU Double-Coated Adhesive Film Tape – known as ‘anti-squeak tape’, this product can help to reduce mechanical noise generated by sliding surfaces.
- 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape – an alternative to mechanical fixings that effectively seals gaps to help reduce wind noise.
- 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners – a flexible, reclosable fastening system that holds trim parts securely and reduces noise from mechanical fastenings.
- 3M™ Bumpon™ Self-Adhesive Protection Products – for spacing and impact absorption.
- 3M™ Flock Tape – absorbs surface contact noise.
The team at 3M has vast experience working with customers in the automotive industry and can help deliver a customised, end-to-end solution for modern manufacturing challenges. For more information on our range of automotive comfort and styling solutions Contact a 3M specialist