When you’ve devoted time and resources to create a flawless finish, 3M can help it stay that way. Our engineered films protect vulnerable vehicle surfaces from scratches, stone-chips and abrasion, maintaining a high quality appearance that manufacturers and their customers can be proud of. The range includes, amongst others:
- 3M™ Paint Protection Films - available as a transparent or black film, for inconspicuous, all-round protection of loading and floor sills, bumpers and other at-risk areas. These films can be customised for individual models to offer a fully bespoke solution;
- 3M™Low Friction Tapes – to reduce wear between sliding surfaces, minimise mechanical noise and protect against corrosion.
3M™ Paint Protection Films
3M Paint Protection Films are designed to defend surfaces at risk of corrosion following abrasion, scratches, stone impact or mechanical stress. They offer long-term protection for heavy wear areas like tailgates, leading edges and flared wheel arches, whilst discreetly maintaining a high quality paint finish.
- Seal weld seams and paint edges,
- Prevent galvanic corrosion,
- Reduce mechanical noise generated by sliding surfaces,
- Adapt well to a variety of components, including large or lightly formed areas.
3M Paint Protection Films for the automotive manufacturing industry include a variety of different films to meet your requirements. For technical details of these and other products in the range, download a datasheet or contact us.
3M™ Paint Replacement Films
3M Paint Replacement Films enable custom design details to be added to the exterior or interior of a vehicle, whilst also protecting the underlying surface. They provide an attractive alternative to paint or plastic cladding and are ideally suited to complex components and flanged edges, such as vehicle columns.
- Highly flexible,
- Fast, simple, secure positioning,
- Available with a wide range of structures, gloss grades and thicknesses.
Popular 3M Paint Replacement Films for the automotive manufacturing industry include:
- Smooth Low Gloss,
- High Gloss.
For technical details of these and other products in the range, download a datasheet.
NEW 3M™ Exterior Trim Film
3M Exterior Trim Film (ETF) creates a metallic or high-gloss black finish on plastic exterior trim components, replacing formed metal, chrome-plated plastic and painted parts. It provides a consistent finish on a variety of different base materials (ABS, TPO, PVC) and with a range of manufacturing processes (e.g. co-extrusion, in-mold decoration, dual vacuum thermoforming). For model differentiation purposes, various trim level grades can be applied on one vehicle exterior without changing the base part design. Other advantages to the automotive manufacturer include:
- Fewer chrome plating operations,
- Weight reduction when compared to metal parts,
- Lower cost when compared to metal parts,
- Design flexibility for the surface decoration for exterior trims,
- No corrosion.
To discover how 3M ETF could benefit your automotive manufacturing process, speak to a 3M specialist.
The team at 3M has vast experience working with customers in the automotive industry and can help deliver a customised, end-to-end solution for modern manufacturing challenges.
For more information on our range of exterior engineered films, Contact a 3M specialist