The 3M range of products for the Body in White stage of the automotive manufacturing process includes:
- Powerful structural adhesives with consistent, effective bonding capabilities.
- High performance abrasives for a precision finish.
- Solutions for maintaining a cleaner working environment.
3M Structural Adhesives
3M Structural Adhesives are the ideal choice for the cost-effective design of primary assemblies. Suitable for use on virtually all materials and combinations, their two-component systems deliver outstanding bonding performance when joining flanges, bonnets and panels.
With the resulting effect on crash performance and dynamics, vehicles are made safer whilst at the same time benefitting from reduced weight and greater design flexibility.
3M Melt Sealing Tapes
3M Melt Sealing Tapes (MST) offer a valuable alternative to conventional PVC sealants when protecting gaps and edges against the ingression of moisture and dirt. These conformable tapes deliver permanent corrosion protection, even at mechanically stressed points, offering significant advantages to the automotive manufacturer over standard sealant products:
- Simple and clean to apply, manually or as part of an automated process,
- Excellent corrosion protection, especially for joints subject to movement or vibration,
- Provide an effective, repeatable seal for gaps and openings,
- Tough and durable,
- Leak proof,
- Can be over-painted,
- Remain stable even under stress.
This video explains more about the benefits of 3M Melt Sealing Tapes.
Popular structural bonding tapes from 3M include 3M 5230, 3M 5231 and 3M 5232. For specific information on these and other bonding tapes in the range, please download a datasheet.
3M Structural Bonding Tapes
3M Structural Bonding Tapes enable vehicle body components to be mounted easily, securely and efficiently. These tapes can be applied manually with a dispenser, or automatically as part of the automotive production process, and are supplied in rolls or as die-cut parts. They offer a number of benefits to automotive manufacturing:
- Easy processing and positioning,
- Robust structural fastening of metal body-in-white parts,
- Outstanding bonding characteristics on a wide variety of substrates, including oily surfaces,
- Stable at room temperature, with good aging characteristics under dynamic load and sustainable high structural strength,
- High flexibility for optimum gap filling,
- Can be applied in multiple layers.
Popular structural bonding tapes from 3M include 3M 9214, 3M 9270, 3M SAF6045 and 3M SAF6068. For specific information on these and other bonding tapes in the range, please download a datasheet.
The team at 3M has vast experience working with customers in the automotive industry and can help deliver a customised, end-to-end solution for modern manufacturing challenges. For more information on Structural Adhesives, Melt Sealing Tapes or Structural Bonding Tapes from a 3M specialist, please Contact Us