3M excels at the development and modification of low-volume, high-value materials for its customers and its own use. Among these are specialty additives and chemicals including catalysts, protective resins, photoinitiators, surfactants, microspheres, bubbles, easy-clean coatings, battery electrolytes, and lubricants. 3M also develops ceramic textiles and composites for use in aerospace, petroleum refining, metal processing, and other industries. Among other unique materials, 3M has a growing expertise in strong, lightweight metal matrix composites.
- First Application Automotive underseal coatings (1935)
- Now Innovating Coatings for water infrastructure pipes, lightweight plastics
- Markets Infrastructure, Industrial, Transportation
- Core Products ScotchKote™, ceramic microspheres, glass bubbles
- 3M Business Unit Industrial, Electronics & Energy
3M™ Glass Bubbles
Low density and high strength make 3M glass bubbles ideal additives for a variety of resin systems.
3M™ Battery Materials
3M is powering the future with cost saving technologies like longer lasting batteries
Over 100 years, we have forged inorganic materials into a surprising range of products.