In the past, high-volume manufacturing could mean wide variations in output. Not anymore, thanks to advancements in coating, drying, curing, web handling, and other technologies. 3M engineers are designing production equipment that combines finely controlled processes with the economic efficiencies of roll-to-roll manufacturing. The result: 3M’s environmental performance continues to improve, and product tolerances become more and more minute―as small as half a wavelength of light for some surface patterns.
- First Application Carlton's business principles (1925)
- Now Innovating Virtual 3D images for security
- What We’ve Done Created film layers sensitive to fractions of wavelengths of light
- Markets Serves all 3M markets
- Core Products Coating, drying, curing, web handling, thin film
- 3M Business Unit Industrial, Consumer, Health Care, Electronics & Energy, Safety & Graphics