After a half-century of exploring uses for nonwoven materials, 3M is still finding new ways to refine and apply them. In medical tapes, they add comfort to patients. In abrasives, they improve durability and ease of use. As insulators, they make your car quieter and your jacket warmer. Thanks to 3M's expertise in advanced materials and sophisticated manufacturing technologies, new opportunities for nonwovens are being developed in health care, consumer products, and heavy industry.
Trapping airborne particles
As air passes through the nonwoven material in Filtrete™ Air Filters, airborne particles―down to 0.3 microns in size in some cases―are captured by the filter’s pleated fabric.
Filtering your water too
Nonwoven technology is also used in Filtrete™ Water Products to provide better-tasting water. The Filtrete™ Water Station even filters directly into reusable bottles, providing easy access to water on the go.
- First Application Decorative ribbon, Sasheen™ (1948)
- Now Innovating Greener Clean (natural materials)
- What We’ve Done Leader in personal protective equipment, Brought Thinsulate to the Arctic and Antarctic
- Markets Personal protection, HVAC, Industrial, Consumer, Health Care
- Core Products Scotch Brite™, Filtrete™, Thinsulate™
- 3M Business Unit Health Care, Safety & Graphics, Industrial, Consumer
Filtrete™ Home Filtration Products
As a leader in residential air filtration, Filtrete filters deliver cleaner air to millions of homes.
Drive a Car, Hike a Mountain
Versatile application of science yields acoustic and thermal benefits.
Source for Good
Cleaning supplies should make the whole world cleaner, not just the kitchen.