3M Microspheres W-410
3M started here, turning minerals into sandpaper. Over more than a century, we have forged inorganic ceramic materials into a surprising range of products. The rugged granules that protect your roof. The complex touch screen at your ATM. The aesthetic dental restorative and the coarsest abrasive. The brilliant bead that defines your lane on a rain-soaked highway and the ultra-strong fiber woven into a power line―these are all derived from 3M's long history in inorganic ceramics.
Helping NASCAR drivers keep their cool
For many people, the word “ceramics” brings to mind a pottery class. At 3M, ceramics means insulation. For instance: The last thing a NASCAR driver wants to worry about is burned feet or heat exhaustion during a race. Yet, drivers face cockpit temperatures of 115°F or more and floorboards hot enough to boil water. 3M™ Nextel™ thermal barriers―made of a lightweight ceramic textile―block that heat before it gets into the vehicle.
Beat the heat
3M™ Nextel™ thermal barriers applied to the transmission/tunnel, header/collector, driver’s floor panel, and firewall keep drivers cooler by keeping surfaces up to 40% cooler.
- First Application Colorquartz Roofing Granules (1931)
- Now Innovating Shaped abrasive grains, orthodontic brackets
- What We’ve Done Key solution to power the Olympics in 2008 (ACCR), Nextel™ in NASCAR, Nextel™ in space
- Markets Industrial, Consumer, Transportation, Metal Working, Dental, Infrastructure
- Core Products Nextel™, Zeospheres™, Cubitron™, Lava™
- 3M Business Unit Industrial, Health Care, Electronics & Energy, Safety & Graphics