Loud, unpleasant noises aren’t just irritating―they are also a threat to our health and safety. 3M has engineered select nonwovens, viscoelastic polymers, and other materials to absorb sound, dampen vibration, and control undesirable noise. In automobiles these materials create a quieter passenger compartment. In computer disk drives, they reduce irritating sounds and help increase access speed and storage capacity. In the workplace they reduce distraction, protect hearing, and allow communication.
- Now Innovating Micro-perforated architectural panels, flame-retardant acoustic insulation for transportation
- What We’ve Done Smithsonian Great Ape Exhibit acoustic tiles (2012)
- Markets Construction, Transportation, Appliance, Architecture
- Core Products Vibration-damping foils, Thinsulate™, hearing protection, architectural panels
- 3M Business Unit Safety & Graphics, Industrial
3M™ E-A-R™ and Peltor™ Hearing Protection products
3M is dedicated to the success of your entire hearing conservation program.
After 50 years of exploring uses for nonwoven materials, we’re still finding new opportunities.
Drive a Car, Hike a Mountain
Versatile application of science yields acoustic and thermal benefits.