3M Micro-spheres W-410
3M started here, turning minerals into sandpaper. Over more than a century, we have forged inorganic ceramic materials into a surprising range of products. The rugged granules that protect your roof. The complex touch screen at your cash-point. The aesthetic dental restorative and the coarsest abrasive. The brilliant bead that defines your lane on a rain-soaked main road and the ultra-strong fibre woven into a power line - these are all derived from 3M's long history in inorganic ceramics.
Helping NASCAR drivers keep their cool
For many people, the word “ceramics” brings to mind a pottery class. At 3M, ceramics means insulation. For instance: the last thing a NASCAR driver wants to worry about is burned feet or heat exhaustion during a race. Yet, drivers face cockpit temperatures of 115°F or more and floorboards hot enough to boil water. 3M™ Nextel™ thermal barriers - made of a lightweight ceramic textile - block that heat before it gets into the vehicle.
Beat the heat
3M™ Nextel™ thermal barriers applied to the transmission/tunnel, header/collector, driver’s floor panel and firewall keep drivers cooler by keeping surfaces up to 40% cooler.
- First Application Colorquartz Roofing Granules (1931)
- Now Innovating Shaped abrasive grains, orthodontic brackets
- What We’ve Done Key solution to power the Olympics in 2008 (ACCR), Nextel™ in NASCAR, Nextel™ in space
- Markets Industrial, Consumer, Transport, Metal-working, Dental, Infrastructure
- Core Products Nextel™, Zeospheres™, Cubitron™, Lava™
- 3M Business Unit Industrial, Health Care, Electronics & Energy, Safety & Graphics